Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The latest Ralph Lauren Ad - Is the Model to Skinny?

This morning I was reading an article at the internet about a Ralph Lauren model fired for being to fat. She was fired because she could no longer fit into the sample sizes the designer provides her for photoshoots - sizes 2-4. The model, Filippa Hamilton is 5'10" and 120 pounds, 23 years old and has been working for Ralph Lauren since she was 15. The big hoohah started when an Ralph Lauren ad came out of the internet a week ago. Filippa's photo was severely photoshopped - her waistline was reduced making her head look too big for her body. At the Today show this morning, she finally speaks out.


In my book, perfection is unattainable. No one, even though they claim to be, are perfect. Everyone has flaws, they are just very good at hiding them. Today, I am 20 pounds heavier than I was in my 20's and I've never enjoyed having curves than I do today. When I dress my body, I feel like a 1950's bombshell. I feel womanly because of my curves.


Have you seen the ad? I ask you, do we want this as an example for our children? Women and girls are already under a lot of pressure about their body image and confidence for what? To satisfy who exactly? Tell me what you think.

http://emmalucindajewelry.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment